Sunday 15 July 2012

Make Me A Sandwich!

Hey lovelies! This will be my last post until Thursday or Friday as I'm going on a short holiday :) Unfortunately I've been sick, but I used all the energy I could muster to do one last nail session for you before I leave. This is something I've been wanting to try for awhile, and since I've been low on energy I thought this would be a good time to try it since it's super easy. Say hello to glitter sandwich!


I've typically seen this done with a polish that has a 'jelly' consistency. If you're not sure what a jelly polish is, check out some swatches of OPI's New York City Ballet Collection as all of them except 'Pirouette My Whistle' are jellies. I did some tests with my jelly polishes, but the shades that I have tended to make the colour of the glitter look a bit gross. So instead of using a jelly as my sandwich topper I've used a creme polish that goes on fairly translucent and has a slightly more watery consistency.

The idea of a sandwich is layering. For this sandwhich I used Revlon's 'Blue Lagoon' as my base colour, Technic's 'Carnival' glitter, and one coat of Revlon's 'Powder Puff' to finish.

I bought Technic's 'Carnival' because I missed out on OPI's 'Rainbow Connection' from the Muppets Collection and had heard that Carnival was a good dupe. I don't have RC to compare it to, but Carnival is a very decent glitter polish. It's packed full of sparklies and the brush picks up so much glitter than I only need to dip it in the bottle once to do my whole nail. It mainly consists of red, blue, green, gold and silver glitters, in both chunky hexagon shapes and smaller round pieces. I paid about $4.50 including shipping for Carnival off ebay. In order for me to have obtained OPI's RC (since it's been about 8 months since it's release) it would have cost me over $30, and I'm sorry but I'm not going to fork out that much money. Some sellers were charging under $10 for the other polishes in the Muppets Collection but then charging over $30 for RC. I'm not buying in to that.

I'm off on my holiday now, no doubt I'll paint my nails again while I'm away but I don't think I'll have internet access so we'll catch up when I get back! xx

8 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! reminds me of Revlon Whimsical (which i have on the brain at the moment)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked up whimsical. They are similar aren't they? Just goes to show that there's more than one way to achieve a look!

      Delete
  2. This is so pretty! I love how the glitter turned pastel-y :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so, so pretty. I love the pastel glitter too :-)
    Hope you have a good holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, pretty! I sure wish I would have picked up Rainbow Connection:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! But at the time I was thinking 'Ewww why would I need that much glitter!?'. I must admit I'm a bit of a polish snob though and I hate that the Technic bottle doesn't match my OPI's and China Glazes haha. It is a decent polish for the price though, so if you're after a rainbow glitter I'd recommend it.

      Delete

Love it? Hate it? I want to hear about it!
Have questions? Ask away!

Please note though that I will delete comments that aren't relevant (*cough* self-promotion *cough*). Thanks for understanding :)